Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Busy busy

I've been pretty busy lately. Since getting back from vacation there has been several things that have happened. Here is a small list:

  • After paperwork was finished, fully accepted to long-term cre member
    • position of Galley Team Leader
  • Started cleaning everything in my room
    • removed 5+ boxes of stuff to get rid of at a yard sale this spring
  • Talked at my grandma's church First Baptist Lemay on Sunday night February 5
  • Cooked lunch for Senior Adults at my church
    • chicken and dumplings for 75 people
  • Helped run a cooking & baking competition for 18 students at Jefferson College
  • Gave presentation at First Baptist Hillsboro on Feb 16th
    • 10AM to a women's group & 7Pm to the youth group
  • Cooked for the Sweetheart Banquet at church
    • Asian salad, bacon wrapped pork loin, rice pilaf & glazed carrots for 100 people 
  • Went and visited my old co-workers at the Saint Louis Club
  • Getting ready for Open House at my church this Sunday evening 4-6 PM
There is still lots of things still going on. 
  • I'm in the process of reading 4, yes 4, different books
    • Always looking for ways to grow
  • This week marks the half way point of my teaching at Jefferson College
    • It has been amazing to see God place this opportunity in my life, but the more I work, the more I realize that I was made for working on the Africa Mercy. 
  • I'm in the process of getting some things for when I return to the ship. It's great that I've been on the ship, gives me a different perspective for when I pack this time.
  • Looking into getting a new camera so that I can record videos to show you guys things in Africa that pictures can't even begin to describe
  • There's always the fundraising. I have to have $1,300 by May for my training in Texas and my flight to  Africa in July.
As far as things in Togo, things are going pretty smooth. The have started surgeries and I know of a few patients with large tumors that have already returned post surgery. One of my closest friends on the ship is having to go on a medical leave, please keep her in your prayers. The air conditioners on the ship are acting up a lot, they are being replaced during dry-dock this summer. It can get very hot on a floating metal box in West-Africa.

I still have moments of "culture shock", what you might call culture shock, to describe it better might be just moments of realizing how bad America has gotten in terms of people's gluttony of THINGS and how Capitalism is working against the common people. Well, I don't want to get on my soap box, just pray that Christians would seek God for what He wants, and pray that Christians would go out and reach the lost people of their community.

There have been several times that I wanted to post something on the blog, but it didn't ever stack up to be big enough for a nice size post, so I've decided that over the next few months the blog will probably be smaller paragraph size post. Just enough to keep you up to date on what's going on, but nothing to lengthily. 

Oh, yeah, by the way! I know several of you have said that you couldn't comment on my blog post. If you click on the links that I post on Facebook, just leave a comment on the Facebook link. If you don't have Facebook feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime. jky2003@hotmail.com.

Until next time
-Josh