Sunday, July 28, 2013

A new watch

I got a new watch this summer while I was traveling. I like watches but this one is a little different than the other ones I had. I didn't realize it at first. I mainly liked it because it has a shiny front on it and you can see the gears moving around on the inside. I've always liked watches, I guess it's like functional jewelry that guys can wear. Before I started in Sales on the ship a watch wasn't really something I wore on a daily basis. Working in kitchens and restaurants always prevented me because I didn't want to get them dirty or broken from multiple hand washing and rushed working patterns. I would wear a watch for a special occasions, if I remembered.
It was after I first put the watch on that I realized it was different. Sitting in the airport waiting for my light I noticed that you could actually hear the ticking. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick there it was serving it's purpose and keeping me on time. I thought "Oh, this is neat. I can see it working and hear it working." That was just the beginning. After a day or two when I found myself idle I would be there listening to my watch. My thoughts went from this is cool to there's that ticking again. It was even a bit annoying. About a week after wearing the watch I started thinking of it as a little reminder from God that each second is, well... just a second. We're only given it once then we have another second. It would be a little extreme to live life by the second so I like to think of it more of be wise of the time you have.

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17

You might think, well Josh, you're volunteering on hospital ship in Africa. Yes, that's true, but how much of my time is spent on myself or doing things the way that I want them? Unfortunately a lot. So now I keep wearing my watch, but when I hear the ticking instead of getting annoyed I take a second to think about what I'm really doing. Does it have a purpose or am I just wasting the day away. Have I taken time in the last day or two to meditate on the Word or God or am I just trudging along doing one task after another forgetting the main purpose of what God has planned for me now?


We have set sail from the Canary Islands. It's a long journey, but in fourteen days we will be docking in Point Noir, Congo for our next field service. Please keep the many deck and engineering crew embers in your prayers as they keep the engines running and the ship moving in the right direction.