Tuesday, March 20, 2012

God doesn't need us.

I've been reading a book by Katie Davis. She went to Uganda right after High School. She originally only went for one semester and then was planning on starting her college education. When she came home to appease her parents she found herself in the typical American culture. It was November 2008 in Nashville, Tennessee and this is what she wrote.

"At times, while attending college in the United States, I wished I were still living in the hungry, needy circumstances in which I lived in Uganda. Sometimes I felt it was easier to cling to Jesus in the state of having nothing that it was to cling to Him while surrounded by the abundance of America. Although I was not physically hungry or in need, my soul was thirstier than ever. An Paul's secret remained true: I couldn't do anything, but As I let the Lord strengthen me, I knew there was nothing He could not accomplish through me. I could hardly wait to see what would happen between twenty and twenty-one" (speaking of her age)

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4.13

In December after finishing only one semester of college she went back to Uganda ans has continued to run the ministry that she started, Amazima. I will be donating this book to the library at church after I am finished and would strongly encourage you to read it.


I've been struggling recently with the same thing. I'm living in a culture where people depend on themselves to get through life. They have the things, family and jobs where they think they could get through life on their own. I'm longing for the day that I will return to serve with Mercy Ships, where I don't have a cell phone, car, or more belongings that what I can pack into two bags. When I can serve God with just what He has given me and praise Him. Please keep me in your prayers as I work through this time in my life and continue to look for supporters