Thursday, May 24, 2012

15-53-154


Fifteen days till I get to Texas and Fifty-three days till I step back on African soil. One Hundred Fifty-four days ago when I left the ship I would have told you that I was really dreading my time at home, but looking back there have been some important things that I've learned and been reminded of during this time. Even though I feel like this has been a valley period in my spiritual walk God has continued to teach me things.

The number one thing I have been reminded of is that I cannot do this on my own. God has to provide all the necessities for me to get to the ship, for the two years I'm there and the journey afterwards. Yes, I have had dinners, sold t-shirts and photo cards, even taught a cooking class, but without God's direction I know that the people supporting me with the fundraisers wouldn't have given to the cause of Mercy Ships. With my funding sitting at 80% sometimes I forget that. With God all things are possible, I'm glad that He's the pilot of my ship.

After attending Festus graduation last week I was reminded of all the people that formed me to be who I am. I believe that God designed us each with a certain task to perform, and through my life from preschool to graduation, my college years, and the last seven years that I've been cooking for a living He has put people in my life to help form me to who I am today. There are so many people that I could mention here that it would be an injustice to the people I can't fit in. During the speeches last week they kept telling their fellow graduates to live for their dream, push for the goal unto you get what you're aiming for. Thankfully I have been around people that have taught me that once I reach my dream/goal to dream even bigger and set that next goal. Life is a rotation of setting the next goal and then working for it.

If you haven't been around me or haven't caught some of my updates that last few months let me just let you know now. I am really looking forward to the next two months and next two years. Everyday will be another adventure and getting to know great people along the journey. When I get to Texas on the eighth I will meet around thirty people that are going to the ship for two or more years. We will go through safety , first aid, fire prevention, fire fighting, and water survival training. Along with that we will have cross-cultural training, living & working in harmony, world view, and kingdom principles sessions. The group will be spending a lot of time together and forming a tight family bond, so I've been thinking of my time in Texas as a family reunion of people that I don't know but will grow to love just like my family.



Here are a few pictures from the cooking demonstration I did last week. It was a lot of fun for me and they enjoyed it too.


Posing for a picture while I was cooking.


The spread of Mexican / Tex-Mex food they got to enjoy.


Telling them about Mercy Ships and what I'll be doing on the ship.