Tuesday, January 8, 2013

One Unit of Help

I've known many people on the ship that have been able to give blood to a patient..... I'm not much on needles so when I was on the ship last year I never thought twice about giving blood. This year I went to the hospital open house and found out that I have Type B blood and then told the lab that I would give if it was critically needed. It almost happened in December but they were able to get what they needed. Yesterday morning they reminded the crew that if we could give blood to register with the because this lady, Mama Hassanatouwas going to have her tumor removed.


Around lunch time I saw that a couple people had given blood so I thought that I might be hearing from the hospital. Then at about 2 o'clock they came and got me saying that they needed some blood. So I went down and gave. I was a little nervous. After a few bad needle sticks from getting blood tests at home put me off to needles, but today wasn't a problem. They stuck me and about 10 minutes later my unit of blood was gone. It was checked with the lab and then sent into the Operating Room. After work I heard that 7 units of blood had been given today. Please keep Mama in your prayers as she recovers from her life changing surgery. Below is a picture of a good friend Sarah that also was able to help with her blood donation today.