Sunday, September 22, 2013

What is Joy?

What is joy?

When I want answers I often google things. Interesting how a website can turn into a verb, but that conversation is for another day. I googled joy and you know what came up? The stock price for Joy Global Inc. I had no idea what Joy Global Inc. was, but now I know that they are a worldwide leader in high-productivity mining solutions. Google goes on to give a definition of joy as a feeling of great pleasure. Next I went to Merriam Webster, a very common dictionary in the United States. Merriam Webster.com says that joy is a feeling of great happiness. That doesn't tell me much more so I went to the original. Often on the ship people say that Americans speak American and people from England speak English. The Oxford English Dictionary is by far the largest dictionary of the English language so that's where I went. Well, the Oxford English Dictionary isn't free so that ends my journey for today.

I hope you weren't expecting much more than that. I just wanted to let you know that I'm starting on a journey to find out more about JOY. What it is, where it comes from, things that the Bible says about it. What reliable authors and other people that I look up to think about Joy. I hope that as I start this journey maybe you can ponder it a little bit yourself. I'm sure that there will be a few posts about my findings. If you would even want to be interactive you could send me an e-mail or Facebook message about what you think about Joy.