Thursday, November 21, 2013

Update

The thing about blogging is that when I get away from it I never know where to start again.

I see that the last time that I posted was the end of October. Now I'm wondering how I managed to post at all in October. You see, the thing is in September and October the Sales Team was short one person. I ended up filling in the position and working a bit to much. It wasn't harmful, but I did get a little overloaded with being at work so much.

For now I have a few random things to share to give you a glimpse of what's going on.

Now that the Sales Team is full, all 5 of us come from different countries. Ib from Sierra Leone, Ed from Cameroon, Giselle from Argentina and Serenity from Chine. It still amazes me the multiple nationalities that serve here on the ship. Often I look around a group of people that I'm with and find that the American are the vast minority.

It has been a full year since I started serving in the Sales Manager position. I enjoy my job very much and look forward to continuing to improve the Ship Shop and Cafe so that we can better serve the crew onboard.

Two weeks ago I bought 288 yards of fabric at the local market; 24 yards of 12 different patterns. Two ladies helped me pick it out and then assisted in cutting and organizing the sets. You see, normally fabric is bought in 6 yard pieces. If you want an assortment of fabrics you have to buy a LOT of fabric. With buying in bulk and cutting the fabric down to half yard pieces people were able to get 12 different half size pieces for an affordable price.

I've become addicted to LOST, thanks to a DVD sharing program onboard I have been able to watch the first four seasons in the last two months.

Earlier this month there was a second screening in Brazzaville, the capital city of the Republic of Congo. Five hundred and twenty-two people attended the even. The turn out was much smaller because people were pre-screened thro local physicians making the job much easier for the crew that traveled to the screening. Two hundred and ninty-four of them were scheduled for surgeon screening and surgery here in Pointe Noire.
94 - general
112 - maxillofacial
45 - plastics
38 - women's health
5 - orthopaedics

Rainy season has arrived. Much different that West Africa, it means that the weather is getting hotter now. Most of the rain has come in the night or early in the morning. It doesn't effect me much, but the Day Crew do have some troubles getting to the ship on days that it is raining.

A good group of my friends found a nice beach to go to about an hour away from the ship. I've been there twice now. It' always nice when I get the chance to get away from the ship. This country boy can only handle living in this big metal box if i can get out to some open spaces every once in a while. And driving to and from is pretty enjoyable too.

That is all for now. If you could keep my parents in your prayers, they are planning on visiting in January and are in the critical stage of determining flights and plans. Also, I've come across the opportunity of a special project this spring. Keep me in your prayers as I look to see what God's plan is.