Monday, September 26, 2011

Living on a ship

 So, after being here eleven weeks I finally got the opportunity to see another ship dock. I've seen them many times leaving or arriving, but it seems that every time I was without my camera. Just last week I saw one leaving during lunch and since it was my day off I decided to go to my room and be ready just in case the next ship came in soon. About half an hour later I saw this ship coming up the river towards the port and so I made my way to deck seven. From deck seven outside you can see across the river and I also went in front of the bridge for a few of the pictures.The ship was only here for a day or two and then I saw it leaving to go out to the ocean.

Coming up the river turned towards the docks.
A clear dock waiting for the arrival of new containers.
Turning so that it will dock with the portside towards the port.
Great view from up on deck eight.
Almost looks like it's going to do a circle and pass us.
The deckhands getting ready to tie up to the dock.
It's getting closer, and moving much slower so as to not hit the dock.
You can see the AFM here in the foreground.
Throwing out the HUGE ropes to tie up to the dock.
All safe and secure.

He wanted a full body shot for his profile pic.
Things have been going very well in the galley. I think that it's a great fit for me! The time goes so fast that it seems like the weeks are flying by like crazy! I'm hopeing to go to church with one of the day workers here in the next week, and just today I set up a Facebook account for one of the workers. It's amazing to see what us people from the western culture take for granted. Kids of young young ages have their own Facebook accounts and computers while Isaac who's thirty-three doesn't even have easy access to a computer. He said that only the rich have computers and mainly just the ones that go to university or own their own business.

Got a package with some LEADER clippings from my mom today, I just love reading that paper!
Want to thank the people that have sent me a card, letter or just a word of encouragement. It's a great reminder of all of you great people at home.
Lastly this week I want to give a shout-out to my friend Bro. Chris, the music minister at FBC-FCC, Sunday was his last service on the staff. He'll be moving with his family to Village Baptist Church in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Sorry that I couldn't be there for the big celebration last night, I heard that everything was wonderful. Seems like just yesterday you were coming on the staff. I wish you many great years, I'm sure that the Lord will bless your ministry there like He has in Missouri.