Friday, October 26, 2012

Wherever you are, be all there

"When it comes to our interactions with others, does your curiosity about how people are responding to your most recent Facebook status trump your curiosity about what’s going on in the life of the friend you’re meeting for coffee? Does the urgent buzzing of your phone trump the urgency of the very real world that’s carrying on, all around you?"

I read this in an article by Relevant Magazine and it reminded me of a devotion I lead in Ghana when my team was there for training back in July. Previously in training they shared with us the quote "Wherever you are, be all there." I had been reminded of it in Ghana because I was longing to be on the ship and I new it was going to be very soon, but I couldn't stop thinking about things other than where I was. God put it on my heart that I really needed to see what was around me and see where He was working right there in my presence.

 Earlier in the morning I had went through Psalm 119 and wrote out a 36 different descriptions of God, one for each person in our group (wherever it describes scripture use it as a way to describe God). I got to verse 111 and it says "Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart." Most people know that I'm a very joyful person, so as I wrote out the little references I asked that after I passed them out to everybody that verse 111 would be left for me. After giving my little speech about being all there I gave out the notes for people to use as a reference when they found themselves not being all there. God could help them along in their situation. When the basket got back to me I picked up the last one and opened it to find vs. 111 "Joy of my heart". I keep that little note on the wall next to my bed. Reminds me of many things.

           #1 God will do things when you ask Him. 
           #2 He can be the source of your joy. 
           #3 Wherever you are, be all there.