Monday, November 28, 2011

Overview


This month to celebrate Thanksgiving I'm going to be posting everyday telling what I'm thankful for.

Overview

  1 Crewmates on the ship
  2 Ability to get around, that I can get in my car and drive wherever when I'm at home
  3 Laughter and the ability to bring people joy
  4 My Bible reading plan, going through the Old testament
  5 The stars
  6 Days of from work
  7 Always having a place to rest my head
  8 Ever constant presence of Jesus and the constant ability to sing praises to him
  9 Communication
10 Freedoms preserved by the Unites States Military Veterans
11Games family/friend time
12 International upbringing getting me ready for Mercy Ships and missions
13 My amazing Nikon D40 camera
14 Seasons and seasonal flowers
15 The Lord Provides my needs and even more
16 Eight years without going to dentist
17 Galley team
18 God given talents
19 Opportunity to meet amazing people
20 Bible study group
21 Forgivness of Jesus Christ
22 Getting to see & saving a critically endangered species

So after a busy end to the week and a relaxing weekend, I'm here to finish off my Thanksgiving posts.

Today I want to say how thankful I am for my family and my supporters who allow my to be here in Sierra Leone. Ever since the night I told my parents about Mercy Ships they have been behind me 100 %. When I told them I wanted to come, when I said that I would be quitting the security of my job and income, when I told them I would be gone for six months they never hesitated. Before I even knew everything about Mercy Ships there were people that said they would support me with my journey on the Africa Mercy. I've never had to ask people to support me, there have always been people happy to be obedient to God's call and support the people that He sends.


Thursday we had the opportunity to make the traditional meal of turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce. My team did most of that work while I made 13 huge apple pies for the after meeting dessert. Every Thursday we have a community wide worship service on the ship which is traditionally followed by ice cream. The crew was happy to see warm apple pit to accompany it.




Thursday was also the last day that our day workers got to work with us. Friday all the day workers came (150+) for a big African meal, a celebration service, and ice cream before leaving the ship for the last time.
There were many people at lunch considering the many extra people that aren't normally here all at one time.  They all came dressed very well and was hard to recognize many of them since we are used to them being dressed in their work clothes. The service was AMAZING.  From the time the music started they were dancing with joy for Jesus. Every person was dancing around showing their praise for Jesus. After watching a few slide shows of the things that have occurred over the last ten months and a great message of gratitude from the captain I'm sure I wasn't the only person with tears strolling down their face.
We moved to midships and had ice cream, took some pictures of the whole team. When everybody got outside I gave them some pictures that I had printed and laminated, a few small gifts and said goodbye to them not knowing when we would ever see them again. There is a chance that we could see them this Friday, we invited them to a restaurant in the city for a final celebration, but it's unknown who will show up.

Please keep the crew in your prayers. The hospital closed up last Friday and with all the day workers gone we are just packing up and getting things read to sail in two weeks. There are also many people leaving in before we leave. With over 60 people leaving in the next week. Today a couple Rob & Denise Miller who left the ship after 10 years of service with Mercy Ships.